Tuesday 27 July 2010

Darren Shan's Demonata in poetry form (a WIP)

In early 2008 my favourite author Darren Shan's books inspired me to write. I had bits from his Demonata series springing into my head in verse and told through the eyes of another character so I decided to write it down and see where it took me. I am going to (attempt) to keep it going and gradually (if I don't get lost in the plot lines) adapt all 10 books.

All plot ideas are copyright to Darren Shan:


Prologue:
I am Lord Loss
And I am a demon master
But I feed on human misery and sorrow
While others of my kind are only interested in slaughter

When we first opened a tunnel between our world and the humans’
I felt the same as the rest of my horde
But then I discovered a game like no other
One that humans played upon a board

* * * * * *

One:
The reason we crossed
Was to kill off all of human kind
And since I am a master
Help from my familiars I could always find

Most of the humans were weak
The success of our mission continued on
That was until we came up against
The rath of the McConn

Don’t get me wrong we slaughtered most of this time in the end
We were demons up against mere humans after all
But they had the magic of the Old Creatures and a band of warriors onside
Which would later prove to be our first major downfall

* * * * * *

They were soon joined by survivors from a neighbouring rath
To help they promised to do their best
And prompted by a simple but blessed boy by the name of Bran
An unlikely group embarked on a quest

One night when the group had stopped to rest I ordered my familiars to attack
But much angrier I could not get
When Bran led them on a merry dance
And even treated one like his pet

* * * * * *

The unlikely group soon come to a crannog and the one called Bec enters a hut
She’s taken by surprise and when her eyes adjust
She finds it’s not one of us
But a human druid by the name of Drust

He takes the group aside
Says their safety to him doesn’t matter
But demands their help
To defeat us, the Demonata

He explains that we are not the previously feared Formorii
But a magical threat from another world
And that we already have a tunnel
Connecting the humans’ to our demonic world

The newly formed group take to the road
And continue looking for our tunnel
Meanwhile Drust takes Bec aside
To attempt to develop on her magical potential

As time passes
Her potential is plain to see
But both become angry
When her progress isn’t going as well as it should be

Then one night I approach the group
And entice Bec to come to me
But then something unexpected happens
She steals some of my magic from me

From then on Bec has no problem
The magic grows within her so fast
It’s now clear that her powers
Have instantly become so vast

* * * * * *

One night when the group have set up camp atop a hill
I send un-dead children to defeat their mother
Orna looks to them with tears in her eyes and even though she knows it’s a spell
She has to go to them due to her instinct as a mother

As she approaches them she sees them for what they really are
Her children dead, yet alive
But for escape it is now too late
Her children come in to nestle into their mother, and eat her alive

* * * * * *

The group continue west, one person down
And soon come to a small village
One where little Bec
Finds her real heritage

This is the clan MacGrigor
And when they finally let Bec in on her family history
One which combines humans and demons like us
One that left her with more questions and a feeling of misery

* * * * * *

The next day the group continue towards the coast
Drust continues to tutor Bec new spells
The speed that Bec is developing
Still Drust compels

He asks Bec
If he can look within her mind
Her new power is thanks to me
Is what Drust is to find

They glimpse the sea
From atop a hill
Everyone stops in awe
The sight restores their good will

They then spot a boat and people too
A druid and a group of magical beings and perhaps the odd rogue
About to set sail in an attempt
To find the mystical Tir Na N’og

* * * * * *

Soon they are at the sea
And they all marvel at the breathtaking sight
They lie on the edge of a cliff
And the power of the sea makes them wish that off it they could take flight

Not long after that I order my familiars attack
The group put up a good fight
Some of my familiars perished but, Fiachna’s shoulder is missing a chunk
And Ronan over the cliff took one last flight

* * * * * *

Later that day I felt magic surround the druid
To get too attached I could not afford
But that was when Drust
Introduced me to the game played upon the chequered board

But Drust put a spell on me to stop me from getting nearer
So I took Goll to within the reach of Vein
But the annoyingly blessed Bran
Thwarted my plan again

* * * * * *

That night Drust summons Bec
To go see the Old Creatures with him
They must jump off the cliff
And underwater swim

They enter the water
Despite the spells it’s dark and cold
Bec starts to panic and struggles against Drust
He shakes her and warns her to do what she is told

After a while of this claustrophobic swim
With Bec still feeling grave
They come up to the warmer water of the surface
And they are now within a vast cave

Drust has come to see the Old Creatures for advice
And to see if there is any other way
But the creatures sadly reveals
That a sacrifice must be made at the end of the day

The two can get to the tunnel in eight days
But they are in for their second of two frights
For the Old Creatures found out we are due to cross
In just two days and nights

The two climb up a cliff
With Drust lending Bec a hand
And they eventually
Make it back to dry land

* * * * * *

The group head east towards the tunnel
Racing against an impossible deadline
They march on hoping the brain-addled Bran has a plan
And hope everything will work out fine

Fiachna tires and collapses, his quest is over
But Bran returns and spirits swell
The deadline may be made
With the help of horses under the influence of a running spell

Soon Drust asks Bec to ride next to him
To allow him to teach the spells to her
Needed to close the tunnel
In case option one fails and they must use another

* * * * * *

The arrive at the tunnel in just enough time
Goll, Lorcan and Connla head in ready to fight
The few stronger demons that have been sent to guard the tunnel
So that Drust, Bec and Bran can forge ahead to attempt to put an end to their plight

They go into the start of the tunnel
It descends then opens out into a cave
They then see there’s a body combined with it
Astounded but that leaves them wondering what hope they have to humanity save

Turns out Drust had a reason
To come and save all humans other
We came because the tunnel
Was opened by his brother

Connla suddenly stabs Lorcan and invites the demons to come
As he thinks he’ll become the boss
As the deluded warrior thinks
He’s made a deal with me – Lord Loss

My kin finally arrive
And the battling begins
And apart from Drust, Bec and Bran still being alive
We add another notch to our wins

Bran goes missing
They know he’s not dead, just gone
Drust and Bec then come to the main cave
And gain more power from the load stone

* * * * * *

As the spells near an end
Bran returns and realises Bec will die not knowing what to do
He throws a knife in an attempt to save her
But that means option one is hampered, it’s now time to opt for option two

Since Drust is all but dead he becomes the new sacrifice
Doomed to be slit by Bec at the neck
As we the demons are sucked back to our world against our will I can’t resist one last taunt
As the last thing we hear are the anguished last screams of the now eternally trapped, humanity saving Bec

* * * * * *

Two:
Soon after our first defeat I learned of a curse
That afflicted one human family
This was the terrible
Curse of lycanthropy

I was approached by Bartholomew Garadex
A true magician, he was sure
That I was the key
That I was the only one that held the cure

Now I never give for nothing in return
So we agreed on a plan
I said it must involve this human game – chess
Since I was a newly captured fan

* * * * * *

We discussed things at length
Eventually a plan was agreed upon
We would play this game called chess
And I would save one of his cursed for every game he won

But if his luck was against him
And he failed to reach his goal
Then as well as lose his life
I would also torture his soul

I allowed of him
Some practice games
Of these he lost six
But after that he never lost so never my prey became

But eventually the better of him
Was got by his age
And his soul peacefully left
His mortal cage

* * * * * *

After that I heard nothing
For almost of forty years
When Davey McKay came looking
To put a stop to his grief induced tears

But I told Davey that I had no interest in him
As he had no magical ability
But he knew of my love of the game
And he came up with something that made me reconsider his plea

You see Davey was smart
He said that if he won
Both he and his son would be free to go
But if he lost I’d get to kill both him and his son

Even though I liked this idea of his
It didn’t completely satisfy me
One of the new rules I made
Was that all five games in the match were to be played simultaneously

Also someone would have to partner Davey
And battle with my familiars
While Davey plays me at chess
To find a solution to his fears

If his partner lost to my familiars
Before our match finishes
Then I’d let them attack Davey as well
Killing him and fulfilling their cannibalistic wishes

My next twist
Is that if Davey wins
His son would be cured but Davey would have to come to my realm and fight me there
And that’s where the real battle begins

His body would remain in the realm of the humans
Only his soul would come with me
And only if he won this fight
Would Davey’s soul be allowed to return to his body

If however he lost this fight
His soul would remain with me
It would be mine
To torture for all eternity

* * * * * *

Those were the terms
And Davey agreed
In the hope that
From this terrible affliction, his son could be freed

But alas for poor Davey
Luck was not on his side
Into my clutches
He was doomed to slide

His partner lost to my familiars
That was his brother
They were left to finish of Davey and his son
A task which gave them no bother

* * * * * *

For the new way of playing this game
I got a taste
So I decided to approach
Davey’s other relatives post-haste

Most of them thought they would be mad to take up my proposition
All declined except for two
To rid their children of the curse
Anything, they would do

Like Davey one of them lost
So I got three more people to kill
But the other one won
And travelled to my realm with a strong will

Over the coming decades
Most who won the battle on Earth
Lost to me in the world of the Demonata
But some won which showed to try, it was always worth


To Be Continued….

No comments:

Post a Comment